I have received Texas Instruments eZ430-Chronos wireless watch from my friend Iwan Setiawan on July 2013. But this month, I just have a time to play with this stuff. Actually, i really want to buy this so-called wearable device on January 2011 to conduct some research about wireless sensor network. If you are curious about the watch’s feature, please refer to the Wiki page.
On the previous post, i only attach the eZ430-Chronos introduction video from youtube. Now i will explain how to install the TI eZ430 Control Center in GNU/Linux OS. I am using Ubuntu Linux 12.04 to run the application. Let’s start to the point :
0. First, we need Tcl/Tk library version 8.5 on our system to meet dependencies.
sudo apt-get install tcl8.5 tk8.5
1. In order to generate keyboard events and mouse clicks through the watch buttons, xdotool library is required.
sudo apt-get install xdotool
2. Okay, now we already have all dependencies to run this kind of application. The next step is running the installation file from CD provided with the watch. If yo don’t have installation file from the CD, grab it from the site. Unzip the archive, and run ./Chronos-Setup
3. It will appear pop-up window, follow the instruction. Pretty simple.
4. Insert the Chronos RF USB access point to our PC/laptop’s USB port.
5. Please, make sure that it is detected as valid USB device on /dev/ttyACM0.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0451:16a6 Texas Instruments, Inc. BM-USBD1 BlueRobin RF heart rate sensor receiver
[ 964.907108] cdc_acm 3-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
6. Go to the directory that eZ430-Chronos_CC_1_1.tcl installed. Set script files to executable:
chmod u+x eZ430-Chronos_CC_1_1.tcl
7. On Ubuntu version <14.04 we need mspdebug_0.21-2_i386.deb to run this application. We can download it from ubuntu repository.
8. Launch the application from terminal, just type:
and It will pop-up a window :
Congratulation! Now, we can configure and test the eZ430-chronos feature with this Control Center.
*The 1st image is taken from http://www.element14.com